On August 31, 1881, the first U.S. National Men’s Singles Championship was contested at the Casino, among a field consisting of 25 participants, accompanied by a string quartet. Dick Sears emerged as the country’s first champion, going on to win the first seven championships (1881-1887) before retiring undefeated. Sears and James Dwight also partnered to capture five doubles championships (1882-1884, 1886-1887). By 1914, the event had outgrown Newport, leading the USNLTA to relocate the championships to the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, New York. The tournament evolved to become known as the US Open.