Class of 1963
Contributions to Tennis
A man who devoted more than fifty years of his life to tennis and played the game recreationally into his mid-eighties, Julian Myrick’s primary contributions were at the administrative level. Beginning his business career in the insurance world, he partnered with Charles Ives in 1906 to found Ives & Myrick, one of the most successful insurance companies in the United States in the early twentieth century. Myrick’s connection to tennis went beyond his marriage to the sister of Watson Washburn, and his nephew Sidney Wood. Myrick was the president of the West Side Tennis Club from 1915-1917, and was instrumental in increasing the club’s prominence and moving the U.S. National Championships from Newport to Forest Hills in 1915.
In 1917, Myrick stepped into the role of Acting President of the United States National Lawn Tennis Association (USNLTA) as then-President George Adee was preparing for active service in France during WWI. Myrick then served as United States Lawn Tennis Association (USLTA) President after its name change from 1920-1922, where he oversaw the construction of the Forest Hills Stadium, which hosted the first Wightman Cup competition in 1923. Known as the “Elder Statesman” of the sport, Myrick’s zeal for the game and distinguished service to it was invaluable during a period of burgeoning popularity for the sport around the world