- August 02, 1932
- December 13, 2006
- Place of Birth:
- El Dorado, Arkansas
- United States
- Induction Category:
- Year of Induction:
One of the great innovators in American sports, businessman Lamar Hunt drew on his early recollections of watching the traveling tennis pros to create World Championship Tennis in 1967. After the game went “Open” the following year, Hunt turned WCT into a unified and well organized circuit. WCT lived up to its motto as “the largest promoter of professional tennis in the world.” Each May through the 1970s and 1980s, the top eight players assembled in Dallas for the prestigious WCT Finals. Hunt’s creativity changed the way the world looked at the game.
- Co-founder of World Championship Tennis 1967
- Founder of the American Football League
- Inductee of the Professional Football Hall of Fame
- Inductee of the Soccer Hall of Fame
- Coined the NFL Championship phrase "Super Bowl"